Tuesday 18 November 2014

#Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso


Books on business have never really been my thing. I remember at my old job my boss sent around an email containing the 'top 100 business books of all time'. The only one I had read was Dr Seuss' 'Oh The Places You Go,' which I'm pretty sure was only included to show that the editors had a sense of humour.

If, like me, you've never considered reading the likes of Warren Buffet then perhaps #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso is more your jam. I think what drew me to this book in the first instance, apart from the fact that it has been pretty popular on the blogosphere, is that it is essentially a business book for young women written by a young woman, and one who has had to figure out a hella lot of the business world on her own.

For those of you who are unfimilair - Sophia Amoruso is the CEO and Creative Director of Nasty Gal, an online e-retailer worth about $28million. With no college degree or experience in running a business she built Nasty Gal from an eBay store into a multi million dollar business in about seven years, all without borrowing a dime. Yeah, so she's kinda worth listening to.

Business on her own terms is really where Sophia Amoruso shines, and more than anything #Girlboss is a testiment to being successful in your own way. I've never had dreams of being a business owner yet I still found the majority of what Amoruso talks about inspiring. With gems like 'You are not a special snowflake' and 'Money looks better in the bank than on your feet,' Sophia's advice is grounded in the real world.

At under 250 pages (and its big type) this is not a very big book yet its filled with bite sized snippets of Sophia's journey and advice that she has picked up along the way. I think this is the type of book ill be picking up again and again to read through anytime I feel like I need a bit of a pep talk from someone who has a lot of sound advice to offer.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig