Tuesday 10 March 2015

8 Reasons To Read: I Quit Sugar by Sarah Wilson


I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to reading diet books. To put it bluntly, I like all of the foods. But, even I know that sugar doesn't have a large part to play in a healthy and balanced diet, which is why I was intrigued to pick up Sarah Wilson's book I Quit Sugar. Here's 8 reasons I enjoyed reading:

1. It's sensible and non-preachy. I loved that throughout the book Sarah puts forward her reasons for quitting sugar (she was addicted plus it affected her auto-immune disease) but never gets too preachy. In fact she even includes a gentle reminder that if you do go on the quitting sugar diet to not bang on about it trying to convert everyone you know.

2. The recipes. Quitting sugar isn't the easiest thing to do since most processed or ready-made foods include it. That's why half the book is made up of yummy-looking easy to follow recipes to give you ideas on breakfast, desserts and snacks, some of the hardest areas to avoid sugar in.

3. It's full of advice. The eight week detox plan is a pretty reasonable way of quitting sugar and she's outlined some of the biggest hurdles you may face during this time and how to overcome them.

4. It's realistic. I really liked that Sarah acknowledge that a small amount of sugar isn't going to kill you or be the end of your sugar journey. She readily admits that there are times when sugar is unavoidable (children's birthday parties) and it's not worth worrying over.

5. It's already made me stop and think. While I haven't fully decided to quit sugar it has made me aware of how much of the white stuff I put into my body each day and convinced me I don't need to add it to teas and coffee.

6. All my skeptical reasons for not liking this book were addressed. Before I read this book I thought it was going to be a lecture on how sugar is bad and we should embrace a quinoa and chickpea diet void of fruit. That's really not the case and the more I read the more I realised it's a sensible book which encourages the reader to adapt it to their lifestyle.

7. Adaptation. I love that Sarah really encourages the reader to adapt the diet to their lifestyle. While she tries to avoid eating fruits high in fructose (such as banana and mango) she does encourage the reader to adjust it to their own needs.

8. You can eat all of the fats. Just because you're quitting sugar doesn't mean you have to miss out on all the good stuff; cheese, butter, olive oil and full fat yogurt are all on the menu and that is what I can get behind.

Have you read I Quit Sugar? I'd love to know if it convinced you to make any changes to what you eat?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig