Monday 31 August 2015

The Mid Year Book Tag

A couple of months ago I did my roundup of the best books of 2015 I'd read so far. While I still stand by those recommendations, when I stumbled across the Mid Year Book Tag I thought this was a fun way to elaborate on what I've been reading this year, in terms of the good, the bad and the downright boring. If you love book tags why not give this one a go and leave your link in the comments so I can check it out!

Best Book You've Read All Year?
This would have been a hard one to pick as I've read a lot of great books this year, but the standout which I have just finished so was never mentioned in my 'Best of 2015 So Far' post would have to be All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. It's truly a beautifully written book and one that made me appreciate the delicacy of the written word. Far and away this is the best book I've read so far in 2015.

Best Sequel You've Read So Far.
None. Absolutely zero, zilch, diddly sequels have been read this year! However I am really really excited to read the sequel to Libba Bray's The Deviners (called The Lair) which came out a few weeks ago and lots of lucky book bloggers (ie not me) featured it on their blogs, which I have resisted the temptation to read anything about for fear of ruining it for myself!

New Release You Haven't Read But Want To?
I just picked up a copy of the fourth Millennium book, The Girl In The Spiders Web by David Lagercrantz. It's a controversial one for sure since Stieg Larsson passed away after writing the first three, but I've heard rumours that the writing is actually pretty good and I love the character of Lisbeth Salander so really can't wait to get reading it!

Most Anticipated Release For The Second Half of 2015? 
A tie for me between The Lair, The Girl In The Spiders Web and the next Robert Galbraith crime fiction novel because I love all of these series. So much goodness is dropping this year!

Biggest Disappointment?
I read a couple of Cecelia Ahern books this year - Thanks For The Memories and A Place Called Here and while I enjoyed them I'm kinda disappointed that I don't love her books. They are great holiday reads but she has a very passionate fan base and I thought I would really 'get' her books but so far they have just been good three star reads for me which is a bit disappointing.

Biggest Surprise?
This would have to be You by Caroline Kepnes as I thought the book was going to be great but I was really surprised and conflicted with myself for finding the main character actually a little bit likeable at times. This is obviously troubling because he is a massive creep which made me feel like a massive creep for laughing at his jokes. Also I was quite surprised by certain events in this novel that went from creepy to massively psychopathic in the space of a few pages.

Book To Movie Adaptation?
I actually haven't read any books that have been turned into movies this year but I did pick up a copy of Paper Towns so that I can read it before seeing the movie as it's highly likely I'll be watching that soon. I've never read any John Green before so my expectations are a little high!

Favourite New Author?
Libba Bray for writing The Diviners. I've since tried to hunt down some of her earlier works as once I find a great author I love to read everything they've ever written in a weird binge-reading kinda way. Also I really like reading Ben Elton, both his satirical and his historical fiction novels.

Newest Fictional Crush?
Concierge Ryan from Must Love Otters. This book is so adorable and Ryan is a complete babe and is also a nice down to earth guy who should always win the girls I say.

Newest Favourite Character?
Evie O'Neill from The Diviners for her party girl ways but also because underneath all that bravado she's a sweet and caring friend, plus her cute 1920s slang made me like her even more.

Book That Made You Cry?
I don't think I've shed an actual tear reading any books this year, as far as I can remember but The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes was definitely an emotional one by the end!

Beautiful Book?
The paperback cover for All The Light We Cannot See is truly beautiful. I bought a copy for my Dad and felt pretty reluctant to hand over something so pretty, definitely one worth displaying on the bookcase. Unfortunately my library copy came plastic wrapped and wasn't the shiny version which had beautiful blues and yellows that sparkled in the light.

Books You Need To Read By The End of The Year.
The main three I'm looking forward to are the sequals for those I mentioned earlier, but my to-read book list is soooo long I really don't think I will get to everything I want to in the next few months.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig