Friday 23 October 2015

The Girl In The Spiders' Web by David Lagercravtz


Lisbeth Salander is back! Not only that, but she's still the same badass butt kickin' bitch she always was. In The Girl In The Spider's Web, Salander and Mikael Blomkvist's paths cross again when a renown Swedish scientist Professor Balder seeks publicity for his story and protection for his Artificial Intelligence technology. Assisting Balder not only means putting themselves in danger from  those who wish to destroy Balder's technology but also people from Salander's past.

I have to say I had pretty high hopes for this book. The Millenium trilogy is one of my favourite series and Lisbeth Salander is one of the best morally ambiguous characters I've ever come across. The Girl in the Spider's Web got off to a slow start for me. It took a good few chapters to set up the story of Balder which involved Blomkvist and the magazine editors at Millenium but all the while I couldn't help but wait impatiently for Salander to come into the story. I was so relieved to find the same angst-ridden superhacker that we left in The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest had returned under the writing of David Lagercrantz.

Although I missed Blomkvist and Salander working closely together in this book - there was barely a scene where they were actually face to face - Lagercrantz has drawn on Salander's back story and draws out characters from her past who now want to destroy her. Salanders family situation is explained in greater detail leaving us with a better impression and adding to our knowledge of how she grew to be the damaged woman she is today. Although the plot of this book held less interest for me than that of other Millenium books, it's Blomkvist and Salander's relationship that had me hanging on. I only hope this gets developed further into the next book.

Rating: ****
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig