Thursday 3 December 2015

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter Of Smoke and Bone, 418 pages. Published September 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Rating: ****

Remember how I've often said that I'm not that big of a fan of YA books. And, that I don't really do fantasy novels? Yuh. I take it all back. When I picked up Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor I don't really know what I was expecting. Mainly I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. What I wasn't expecting was to be completely blown away by the awesomeness of this novel. Because that's what this book has in spades.

I can't really fault this book (okay, maybe one little thing that I was like errrr, yeah nah but I'll get to that in a minute) because it had a little bit of everything that makes me think fantasy might be a genre for me after all. There's magic - it's about angels and demons (well kinda) a little bit of romance, it's funny and the main character Karou is a blue haired tattooed art student that had me loving her in about two minutes.

Overall this book was just a really fun and entertaining read that still had me emotionally invested in Karou's life. Plus I loved how weird it is. There's weird stuff going on with wishes and teeth and resurrections of spirits. Not to mention the fact that this book is set in Prague which had me all heart eye-emojid for the cities beautiful descriptions. The tiny thing I didn't like was the romance in this book was a tad insta-love for my liking but even then that had an explanation so I can deal with characters dropping the L bomb mere weeks after meeting each other.

Anyway, if like me you've always thought of yourself as not a fan of fantasy novels then I would definitely recommend giving Daughter of Smoke and Bone a go. It's soooo good and I can't wait to read the next installment.

Have you read Daughter of Smoke and Bone or have I convinced you to pick it up?


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig